This is the Tri-ang Minic Ships model of HMS Whitby lead ship of the Royal Navy's six ship Type 12 "Whitby" Class of anti-submarine frigates, constructed during the 1950's, all of which were named after seaside resorts and coastal towns.
The "Whitby" Class were designed primarily as anti-submarine warfare ships equipped with underwater detection equipment and anti-submarine weapons of post-war development. They had a high focsle and clean lines which resulted in good sea keeping qualities. This combined with their twin rudders made them highly manoeuvrable and able to maintain high speed in rough seas.
The ships were of all welded construction and were specially designed with the lightest possible structure. The opportunity was taken during their construction to refine the techniques necessary for rapid building of such vessels in time of emergency.
Although originally designed with provision for twelve torpedo tubes, 8 single and 2 twin mounts, none of the early ships ever carried them although they are shown on these models as four single mounts and one twin mount on each side highlighted in black.
On 27th September 1973 HMS Whitby was involved in a collision with the Icelandic Gunboat Thor while undertaking Fishery Protection Patrol during the 1970's "Cod War".
Tri-ang Minic produced identical models of four "Whitby" Class destroyers HMS Whitby, HMS Torquay, HMS Blackpool and HMS Tenby distinguished only by the model number and name marked on the underside.
The "Whitby" Class models are somewhat inaccurate in relation to their
armament when compared to the other models in the range. On the "Whitby"
Class models the aft 40 mm twin Bofors anti-aircraft mount is represented by
a small rotating turret, which is normally used to depict 4.5" to 5.25" twin
gun mounts, instead of the fixed twin mount used on all the other models.
|Builder:||Cammell Laird & Co Ltd, Birkenhead|
|Laid Down:||30th September 1952|
|Launched:||2nd July 1954|
|Commissioned:||19th July 1956|
|Displacement:||2,560 tons Full Load|
|Length (OA):||370 ft ( 112.8 m )|
|Beam:||41 ft ( 12.5 m )|
|Draft:||12 ft 9 in ( 3.9 m )|
2 x 4.5" main guns in a twin turret forward
2 x 40 mm Bofors anti-aircraft guns in a twin mount aft
12 x Torpedo tubes in 8 single and 2 twin swivel mounts
2 x triple barrel Limbo depth charge mortars
|Propulsion:||2 Babcock & Wilcox boilers, 2 double reduction geared turbines, 2 shafts, 30,430 shp|
|Maximum Speed:||29 knots|
|Complement:||189 as Squadron Leader|
|Disposal:||10th October 1978 scrapped at Queenborough|
|Further details can be obtained from the following linkss -|
|The Royal Navy Postwar Web Site||http://www.btinternet.com/~warship/Postwar/Frigates/whitby.htm|
|The "Warships on the Web" Site||http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aj.cashmore/britain/british-asfrigates.html|